Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Court Helicopter
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
Court Helicopter
Home News

Court forfeits 3.1 M belonging to a Nigerian convict

CH Reporter by CH Reporter
August 1, 2023
in News
0
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Related posts

Lawyer Omari Demands for President Ruto’s Statement in Chuka Law Student Cyber Harassment Case

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026

A Nigerian student serving a three-year sentence for money laundry has lost Sh 3.1 M that had been sent to him by his aunt from the US.

Peter Olaiwon was sentenced to three years in prison after being found guilty of conveying monetary instruments to Kenya

A parcel was sent to him from South Carolina by his aunt and it contained 6 books, 7 T-shirts and one One Jacket that had 28,000 USD cash which was not declared.

Justice Nixon Sifuna on Friday allowed an application by the Asset Recovery to forfeit the money to the state.

He ruled that Olaiwon did not produce sufficient evidence to convince the court to return the money back to him.

The judge ruled that from the evidence produced the Nigerian is a member of an elaborate cross border fraudsters and criminal involved in Illicit activities and the cross-border conveyance of cash disguised as parcels so has to avoid detection by police.

“Why else was such a huge sum of money conveyed in a parcel instead of being sent through the normal way through banks and other money transfer institutions such as Western Union?,” the judge posed.

“I find that the application has established a case for forfeiture of the USD 28,000 and the respondent has failed to discount,” he ruled.

He further said that there was reasonable suspicion that the money might be a direct or indirect benefit profits of crime obtained from a complex web of a money laundering scheme, or intended for use in the promotion and commissions of crime.

“There is a high likelihood that he is involved in suspicious activities and so its justifiable for court to conclude that he is a member of an elaborate cross-border fraudsters and criminals involved in illicit activities,” the judge ruled.

In the case, Asset recovery had argued that the money was from proceeds of crime which Olawain wanted to hide and disguise because it was not declared as is required by law.

However, Olaiwon who was on his first visit to Kenya told court that the money was sent to him in good faith and was to be used in opening a hotel business in Eastleigh.

In his defence he said he was only a month old in the country and did not have a bank account.

He didn’t want the money to be forfeited to the state saying it would be a miscarriage of justice.

According to the law any person intending to convey money in excess of USD 10,000 into and out of Kenya is supposed to declare the same to an authorized person.

Previous Post

Lawyers challenge recent appointment of high court registrar

Next Post

Director charged with obtaining 8 M from flour mill firm. 

CH Reporter

CH Reporter

Next Post

Director charged with obtaining 8 M from flour mill firm. 

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#Safaricom #Sakaja Africa Creative Feature Human Rights IPOA Legal Today Maandamano Mathare News Populer sepulchral rights trend Video

POPULAR

Court Update

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado Asks for Non-Custodial Sentence in Sharon Otieno Murder Case

by CH Reporter
August 18, 2026
0

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider giving him a non-custodial sentence following his conviction...

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

August 18, 2026
Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026
Katiba Institute wants IG Kanja Jailed for erecting roadblocks despite existing orders

Kanja Orders Immediate Interdiction of Officers on Duty When Suspects Die in Custody

August 13, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026
Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

August 13, 2026
Rigathi Gachagua Seeks Compensation, Nullification of Impeachment in Court Battle

Gachagua moves to Court of Appeal seeking to Overturn His Impeachment

August 17, 2026

Blogger Gaitho Charged for Alleged False Tweet Against Police in Kware Killings’ Case.

July 18, 2024
Court Helicopter

Court and legal stories from around the country

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • 3 Treasury Officials Among 9 to Face Charges Over KSh1.5B Misappropriation
  • High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Category

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

Recent News

3 Treasury Officials Among 9 to Face Charges Over KSh1.5B Misappropriation

August 18, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.