A Kiambu High Court judge has stepped aside from handling two cases filed by Kenyatta University official Waceke Wanjohi challenging the recruitment of a new Vice Chancellor and the alleged refusal to renew her contract as Deputy Vice Chancellor.
Justice Margaret Njoki Mwangi announced her recusal on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, after revealing that Senior Counsel Steve Ogolla had gone to the Kiambu High Court seeking to speak with her regarding the matter.
Professor Waceke Wanjohi, through advocate Chris Mutuku, had moved to court seeking orders stopping the appointment of a new Vice Chancellor at Kenyatta University. She also sought orders compelling the university council to renew her contract as Deputy Vice Chancellor before its expiry on July 31, 2026. The court had earlier issued interim orders in her favour.
While issuing directions in the consolidated matters, Justice Mwangi disclosed that advocate Ogolla visited the court on Tuesday, May 19, and informed her aide that he wanted to meet her concerning the ongoing proceedings.
“Mr Steve Ogolla yesterday, May 19, 2026, came to Kiambu High Court, wherein he communicated to my aide that he wanted to see me, a request that I declined,” Justice Mwangi stated.
The judge said she later directed the advocate to explain in open court the purpose of the attempted meeting. According to the court, Ogolla, who represents Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba, explained that he intended to notify the judge that he would be making an oral application seeking to discharge the interim orders issued in favour of Professor Wanjohi.
“The said advocate having explained in court today that he wanted to see me to inform me that he would be making an oral application today for the discharge of ex parte orders, I hereby disqualify myself from this matter,” Justice Mwangi ruled.
Before stepping aside, the judge ordered the consolidation of Judicial Review No. E015 of 2026 and Judicial Review No. E016 of 2026, noting that both matters involve the same parties and stem from the leadership dispute at Kenyatta University.
The court observed that one case concerns the recruitment of the Vice Chancellor position, where Professor Wanjohi claims she emerged as the best candidate, while the second matter challenges the alleged refusal to renew her contract as Deputy Vice Chancellor.
Justice Mwangi directed that the consolidated case be transferred to High Court Courtroom Three for hearing and determination.
She further ordered that the interim ex parte orders previously issued would remain in force unless set aside by the new court handling the matter.
The hearing of preliminary objections in the case has been scheduled for June 23, 2026.












