Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Court Helicopter
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
Court Helicopter
Home Court Update

Court Rejects Bid to Detain Suspects in 58 M Gold Scam Probe Linked to Crypto Transfers

The court cited Article 49 of the Constitution on the rights of arrested persons and ruled that the prosecution had failed to prove why the suspects should remain in custody for 10 days

Bramuel Wanzala by Bramuel Wanzala
May 20, 2026
in Court Update
0
Court Rejects Bid to Detain Suspects in 58 M Gold Scam Probe Linked to Crypto Transfers

Gold scam suspects arrested in connection to 58 M fraud released on 2 M bond. PHOTO| Bramuel Wanzala

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

A Nairobi court has rejected an application by the prosecution seeking to detain two suspects for 10 days in connection with an alleged international gold scam involving over US$447,000.

The prosecution had moved the court seeking orders to hold the two respondents at Kilimani Police Station to allow investigators complete probes into offences of obtaining money by false pretences and conspiracy to defraud under Sections 313 and 317 of the Penal Code.

Related posts

LSK condemns fuel price hikes, demands urgent review and transparency

LSK Orders Misconduct Review of MPs Kaguchia, Kaluma Over Recent Remarks

August 19, 2026
3 Treasury Officials And 6 Other Suspects Charged Over Ksh 1.5B PROFIT Misappropriation of Funds

3 Treasury Officials And 6 Other Suspects Charged Over Ksh 1.5B PROFIT Misappropriation of Funds

August 19, 2026

According to an affidavit sworn by investigating officer Corporal Dennis Mugambi, the complainants were allegedly defrauded by individuals posing as legitimate gold dealers capable of exporting gold consignments from Kenya to Dubai. The prosecution told the court that investigations had uncovered movement of suspected proceeds of crime through multiple cryptocurrency wallets linked to the respondents and other accomplices who are still at large.

The state further alleged that the first respondent resisted arrest by locking herself inside Crystal Villas House No. 10 during the operation, arguing that her conduct showed she was a flight risk. Investigators also claimed that the suspects had persistently evaded arrest until police received intelligence information leading to their apprehension.

However, the respondents, through their lawyer Danstan Omari and Lawyer Lisa Wanjohi, strongly opposed the application, arguing that the prosecution had failed to establish compelling reasons to warrant continued detention. The defence argued that no evidence had been produced to demonstrate how the respondents would interfere with investigations, tamper with evidence or obstruct the arrest of other suspects.

The first respondent’s lawyer further told the court that she is a mother of three children and is expectant, producing birth certificates and a medical report in support of the claims. The court also heard that she is the primary caregiver to her critically ill mother.

On allegations of resisting arrest, the defence maintained that officers failed to properly identify themselves or produce a search warrant, causing her apprehension. The second respondent’s lawyer told the court that his client had already spent three days in custody and was willing to cooperate fully with investigators.

The court further heard that the second respondent, who resides in Sicily and works as a taxi driver, is recovering from a back fracture.

In determining the matter, the court cited Article 49 of the Constitution on the rights of arrested persons, emphasizing that bail can only be denied where compelling reasons are established. While the court acknowledged that police acted in good faith during the arrest, it found that the prosecution had failed to demonstrate, on a balance of probabilities, that detaining the respondents for 10 days was necessary.

The court noted that investigators already had orders allowing them to continue investigations and preserve evidence. It further observed that the first respondent was arrested at her known residence, weakening claims that she posed a flight risk.

Consequently, the court dismissed the prosecution’s application for custodial detention and instead granted the respondents bond terms.

Each respondent was released on a bond of KSh2 million with one surety of a similar amount or an alternative cash bail of KSh200,000 with two contact persons.

Previous Post

Justice Margaret Njoki Recuses Herself From Kenyatta University VC Dispute

Next Post

Safaricom Data Links KDF Officer to Murder of UoN Student Mercy Kwamboka

Bramuel Wanzala

Bramuel Wanzala

Bramuel Wanzala is a journalist and digital media practitioner specializing in court reporting and public interest stories. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics, Media and Communication and has worked with Radio Citizen and The Standard. He currently reports for Court Helicopter News.

Next Post
Safaricom Data Links KDF Officer to Murder of UoN Student Mercy Kwamboka

Safaricom Data Links KDF Officer to Murder of UoN Student Mercy Kwamboka

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#Safaricom #Sakaja Africa Creative Feature Human Rights IPOA Legal Today Maandamano Mathare News Populer sepulchral rights trend Video

POPULAR

Court Update

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado Asks for Non-Custodial Sentence in Sharon Otieno Murder Case

by CH Reporter
August 18, 2026
0

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider giving him a non-custodial sentence following his conviction...

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

August 18, 2026
Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026
Katiba Institute wants IG Kanja Jailed for erecting roadblocks despite existing orders

Kanja Orders Immediate Interdiction of Officers on Duty When Suspects Die in Custody

August 13, 2026
Lawyer Angela Mulwa Released After Court Rejects 7-Day Detention Bid

Lawyer Angela Mulwa Released After Court Rejects 7-Day Detention Bid

August 19, 2026
LSK condemns fuel price hikes, demands urgent review and transparency

LSK Orders Misconduct Review of MPs Kaguchia, Kaluma Over Recent Remarks

August 19, 2026
Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

August 13, 2026
Court Helicopter

Court and legal stories from around the country

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • LSK Orders Misconduct Review of MPs Kaguchia, Kaluma Over Recent Remarks
  • 3 Treasury Officials And 6 Other Suspects Charged Over Ksh 1.5B PROFIT Misappropriation of Funds
  • Lawyer Angela Mulwa Released After Court Rejects 7-Day Detention Bid

Category

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

Recent News

LSK condemns fuel price hikes, demands urgent review and transparency

LSK Orders Misconduct Review of MPs Kaguchia, Kaluma Over Recent Remarks

August 19, 2026
3 Treasury Officials And 6 Other Suspects Charged Over Ksh 1.5B PROFIT Misappropriation of Funds

3 Treasury Officials And 6 Other Suspects Charged Over Ksh 1.5B PROFIT Misappropriation of Funds

August 19, 2026

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.