Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Court Helicopter
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
Court Helicopter
Home Africa

Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema Wins Second Term

Hichilema secures more than 60 percent of the vote, defeating Brian Mundubile and avoiding a presidential runoff

Vivian Navate by Vivian Navate
August 18, 2026
in Africa
0
Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema Wins Second Term

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema casts his ballot at the Kabulonga Boys Secondary School polling station in Lusaka on August 13, 2026. PHOTO| AFP

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema has won a second five-year term after securing more than 60 percent of the vote in last week’s presidential election, according to the Electoral Commission of Zambia.

Commission chairperson Mwangala Zaloumis announced the final tally early Tuesday at the National Results Centre, declaring Hichilema of the United Party for National Development president-elect.

Related posts

Uganda Law Society Bans ‘My Lord’ and Courtroom Bowing in Push to End Colonial Traditions

Uganda Law Society Bans ‘My Lord’ and Courtroom Bowing in Push to End Colonial Traditions

July 8, 2026
South Africa Reopens Impeachment Process Against President Cyril Ramaphosa

South Africa Reopens Impeachment Process Against President Cyril Ramaphosa

May 13, 2026

Hichilema received 2,965,326 votes, while his closest challenger, Brian Mundubile of the National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity, polled 1,856,217 votes. The result gave the incumbent a comfortable majority above the 50 percent threshold required to avoid a runoff.

“I therefore declare Hichilema Hakainde S to be president-elect of the Republic of Zambia this 18th day of August, 2026,” Zaloumis said.

The 64-year-old president, who first assumed office in 2021, was contesting for the presidency for the seventh time. Mundubile, 55, was making his first attempt to become Zambia’s head of state. The August 13 election, which also involved contests for Parliament and local government positions, recorded a turnout of about 57 percent from more than 8.7 million registered voters. Results from five of Zambia’s 226 constituencies were still outstanding after disruptions, but electoral officials said they could not change the presidential outcome.

Hichilema’s victory came after a tense counting period marked by reports of attacks on election officials and the theft of ballot papers. Counting was temporarily suspended on Friday as authorities dealt with the incidents. On election night, 11 people, including opposition figures, were arrested during a security operation that the government said was aimed at stopping planned militia activity. Mundubile’s party disputed the government’s account and raised concerns about the handling of results forms.

Following the declaration, Hichilema thanked voters for renewing his mandate and reached out to those who supported his opponents.

“We are truly humbled by the trust you have placed in our hands,” he said, adding that those who backed other candidates had been heard and that his administration would continue working for them.

Hichilema’s second term comes as Zambia continues to deal with the economic challenges that have dominated his first presidency. The country, Africa’s second-largest copper producer, has pursued debt restructuring, efforts to control inflation and increased investment in the mining sector.

The election was also seen as a test of Zambia’s reputation for peaceful transfers of power, with 14 candidates competing for the presidency. Hichilema’s victory gives him another five years to pursue his economic agenda while facing pressure over the cost of living, employment and the distribution of the country’s mineral wealth.

Previous Post

High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance

Next Post

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

Vivian Navate

Vivian Navate

Vivian Navate is a passionate writer and court reporter based in Nairobi. A creative thinker and storyteller, she is deeply committed to justice, transparency, and delivering clear, insightful coverage of Kenya’s legal landscape.

Next Post

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#Safaricom #Sakaja Africa Creative Feature Human Rights IPOA Legal Today Maandamano Mathare News Populer sepulchral rights trend Video

POPULAR

Court Update

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado Asks for Non-Custodial Sentence in Sharon Otieno Murder Case

by CH Reporter
August 18, 2026
0

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider giving him a non-custodial sentence following his conviction...

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

August 18, 2026
Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026
Katiba Institute wants IG Kanja Jailed for erecting roadblocks despite existing orders

Kanja Orders Immediate Interdiction of Officers on Duty When Suspects Die in Custody

August 13, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026
Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

August 13, 2026
Rigathi Gachagua Seeks Compensation, Nullification of Impeachment in Court Battle

Gachagua moves to Court of Appeal seeking to Overturn His Impeachment

August 17, 2026

Blogger Gaitho Charged for Alleged False Tweet Against Police in Kware Killings’ Case.

July 18, 2024
Court Helicopter

Court and legal stories from around the country

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • 3 Treasury Officials Among 9 to Face Charges Over KSh1.5B Misappropriation
  • High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Category

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

Recent News

3 Treasury Officials Among 9 to Face Charges Over KSh1.5B Misappropriation

August 18, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.