Friday, August 21, 2026
Court Helicopter
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
Court Helicopter
Home News

Two Men Convicted of Fatal Isiolo Bar Robbery Set Free by Appeal Court

CH Reporter by CH Reporter
July 14, 2025
in News
0
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

The Court of Appeal has overturned the convictions and death sentences of two men who had been found guilty of a violent robbery that resulted in the death of a man at Sun Africa Bar in Isiolo in 2014.

Justices Jamila Mohammed, J. Lesiit, and Ali-Aroni set aside the convictions of Samson Mwingirwa and Michael Murungi, ruling that the evidence presented at trial fell short of the legal threshold for upholding a conviction, particularly on the issues of identification and recent possession.

Related posts

Lawyer Omari Demands for President Ruto’s Statement in Chuka Law Student Cyber Harassment Case

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026

The two had been charged and convicted of two counts of robbery with violence. The prosecution alleged they were part of a gang that broke into the bar on the night of August 5, 2014, stealing crates of alcohol, electronics, and other valuables worth over Kshs. 100,000, and fatally injuring a man identified as Karuru.

A key eyewitness, David Kinoti, claimed he saw one of the attackers by torchlight during the robbery. However, the appellate court ruled that the conditions for visual identification were unreliable, noting that there was no clear evidence about the size, brightness, or direction of the light. “Evidence of identification in difficult circumstances needs to be treated with utmost care,” the court said.

The judges also dismissed the prosecution’s reliance on a dying declaration allegedly made by the deceased victim, stating that medical witnesses confirmed the victim was gravely injured and likely incapable of speech when police claimed he named one of his attackers.

Further, while police said stolen items were recovered from the appellants’ homes, the court found no concrete proof that the goods mostly common household items belonged to the complainant. No receipts, serial numbers, or other definitive evidence of ownership were produced.

“The complainant should have produced the receipts with serial numbers… the items were everyday household items, and pointing them out was not adequate,” the bench observed in its judgment.

The High Court had previously upheld the trial court’s decision, but the appellate court found that both lower courts failed to properly assess the flaws in the evidence.

As a result, the court quashed both the conviction and sentence and ordered the immediate release of the two appellants unless otherwise lawfully held.

Previous Post

Family Seeks Answers After Wajir Huduma Centre Boss Vanishes Without a Trace

Next Post

RELIEF FOR PRISONER SERVING LIFE SENTENCE AS COURT ALLOWS HIM FILE DEFILEMENT APPEAL OUT OF TIME.

CH Reporter

CH Reporter

Next Post

RELIEF FOR PRISONER SERVING LIFE SENTENCE AS COURT ALLOWS HIM FILE DEFILEMENT APPEAL OUT OF TIME.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#Safaricom #Sakaja Africa Creative Feature Human Rights IPOA Legal Today Maandamano Mathare News Populer sepulchral rights trend Video

POPULAR

Court Update

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado Asks for Non-Custodial Sentence in Sharon Otieno Murder Case

by CH Reporter
August 18, 2026
0

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider giving him a non-custodial sentence following his conviction...

Obado, Co-Convicts Await Pre-Sentence Reports Ahead of Sharon Otieno Murder Sentencing

August 18, 2026
Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

Sharon Otieno’s Family Wants Obado to Give Them the House and Car He Had Promised Her Before Her Death.

August 18, 2026
High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

High Court Clears Magistrate Alego to Complete Chelogoi Criminal Trial Despite Transfer to ELRC

August 18, 2026
Court Faults Withdrawal of Justice Mugambi’s Security After Masengeli Contempt Ruling

Court Faults Withdrawal of Justice Mugambi’s Security After Masengeli Contempt Ruling

August 20, 2026
High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

High Court Reaffirms Gatoto School Ownership Orders, Summons DIG Lagat

August 18, 2026
Lawyer Angela Mulwa Released After Court Rejects 7-Day Detention Bid

Lawyer Angela Mulwa Released After Court Rejects 7-Day Detention Bid

August 19, 2026
LSK condemns fuel price hikes, demands urgent review and transparency

LSK Orders Misconduct Review of MPs Kaguchia, Kaluma Over Recent Remarks

August 19, 2026

3 Treasury Officials Among 9 to Face Charges Over KSh1.5B Misappropriation

August 18, 2026
Court Helicopter

Court and legal stories from around the country

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • Supreme Court Halts Recovery of Sh1.5bn Ruaraka Schools Compensation and Investigations Against Those Involved
  • Gatoto School Transition: Court Asked to Protect 1,800 Pupils From Disruption
  • Gatoto School’s New Owners Ordered To Pay 3 Police Officers Guarding The School During This Transition

Category

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

Recent News

Supreme Court Halts Recovery of Sh1.5bn Ruaraka Schools Compensation and Investigations Against Those Involved

Supreme Court Halts Recovery of Sh1.5bn Ruaraka Schools Compensation and Investigations Against Those Involved

August 20, 2026
Gatoto School Transition: Court Asked to Protect 1,800 Pupils From Disruption

Gatoto School Transition: Court Asked to Protect 1,800 Pupils From Disruption

August 20, 2026

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.