Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Court Helicopter
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa
No Result
View All Result
Court Helicopter
Home Court Update

Court Pardons Duale in Ebola Quarantine Contempt Case, Issues Stern Warning After Leniency Plea

Court frees Health CS from punishment after he pleads for leniency, apologises, and insists he acted in good faith over Ebola preparedness measures.

CH Reporter by CH Reporter
June 23, 2026
in Court Update
0
Court Pardons Duale in Ebola Quarantine Contempt Case, Issues Stern Warning After Leniency Plea

Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale at the High Court, where he was pardoned in a contempt case over the Laikipia Airbase Ebola quarantine facility after apologising and seeking leniency. PHOTO|Vivian Navate

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale has been pardoned by the High Court after appearing in person to answer contempt of court proceedings arising from the continued construction of an Ebola quarantine facility at Laikipia Airbase despite conservatory orders suspending the project.

The Constitutional and Human Rights Division of the High Court had earlier found Duale in contempt and summoned him to appear for mitigation and sentencing over the government’s failure to comply with court orders relating to the facility.

Related posts

High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance

High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance

August 17, 2026
“Safaricom ‘Stole’ My M-Teen Idea”: Court Slams Safaricom With Sh1.4 Billion Copyright Judgment

High Court Defers Judgment on Petition Seeking to Halt Sale of Safaricom Shares

August 17, 2026

In an affidavit filed before the court, Duale acknowledged the court’s finding and appealed for leniency, insisting that his actions were motivated by his constitutional and statutory duty to protect public health and prepare the country for potential Ebola outbreaks.

The Cabinet Secretary told the court that he had understood the conservatory orders as stopping the implementation of the Kenya–United States collaboration on the quarantine facility, but not as preventing the government from independently strengthening the country’s quarantine and isolation capacity.

Duale argued that Kenya remains vulnerable to the importation of Ebola because of its position as a regional transport hub and its extensive links across East and Central Africa. He disclosed that, as of June 22, 2026, the Ministry of Health had tested 104 individuals exhibiting symptoms associated with Ebola Virus Disease and screened more than 139,000 travellers at points of entry across the country.

He further informed the court that the government had identified 25 high-risk counties and that more than 40 Kenyans had previously been quarantined in various facilities. According to Duale, a confirmed Ebola outbreak would have far-reaching consequences, including public panic, disruption of regional trade and transport, increased healthcare costs and immense pressure on healthcare facilities and frontline workers.

The Health CS maintained that his interpretation of the court orders was made in good faith and based on an honest belief that the directives did not prevent him from carrying out his core mandate of preparing for public health emergencies under the Public Health Act.

He, however, acknowledged that his interpretation had ultimately conflicted with that of the court and offered what he described as his “unreserved apologies.” Duale told the judge that neither he nor the Ministry of Health had intended to disregard or undermine the authority of the judiciary and emphasized that the ministry remains committed to upholding the Constitution and respecting court orders.

He also informed the court that the establishment of quarantine facilities at Laikipia Airbase had been halted pending the final determination of the petition challenging the project. Additionally, he stated that the ministry had suspended its collaboration with the United States after interpreting the court’s orders as having stopped the partnership relating to the facility.

Duale dismissed concerns that the facility posed a risk of Ebola transmission, telling the court that there had been no community exposure or transmission linked to the quarantine site. He maintained that all decisions regarding the country’s Ebola preparedness measures had been informed by scientific evidence and strategic public health considerations aimed at protecting Kenyans.

In its ruling, the High Court pardoned and discharged the Cabinet Secretary without imposing any punishment. The court noted that Duale’s prompt appearance immediately after being summoned demonstrated his submission to judicial authority and respect for the court process.

However, the judge issued a stern warning to the Cabinet Secretary, cautioning him against any future disobedience of court orders. The court emphasized that all public officers are under a constitutional obligation to strictly comply with judicial directives and uphold the rule of law.

The ruling brings to a close the contempt proceedings against Duale, although the substantive petition challenging the establishment of the Ebola quarantine facility at Laikipia Airbase remains pending before the court.

Previous Post

Supreme Court Declines Bid to Revive Mombasa Land Case After Six-Year Delay

Next Post

Duale Reveals He Advised Ruto Against Congo Trip Over Ebola Fears

CH Reporter

CH Reporter

Next Post
Duale Reveals He Advised Ruto Against Congo Trip Over Ebola Fears

Duale Reveals He Advised Ruto Against Congo Trip Over Ebola Fears

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

BROWSE BY TOPICS

#Safaricom #Sakaja Africa Creative Feature Human Rights IPOA Legal Today Maandamano Mathare News Populer sepulchral rights trend Video

POPULAR

Katiba Institute wants IG Kanja Jailed for erecting roadblocks despite existing orders
News

Kanja Orders Immediate Interdiction of Officers on Duty When Suspects Die in Custody

by Vivian Navate
August 13, 2026
0

Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja has directed that police officers who are on duty when a suspect dies in...

Petition Against Kenya Railways CEO Phillip Mainga Withdrawn a Day After Court Barred Him From Office

Petition Against Kenya Railways CEO Phillip Mainga Withdrawn a Day After Court Barred Him From Office

August 12, 2026
Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

Governor Kilonzo Calls for AI Regulations in Legal Practice, Warns Against Erosion of Rule of Law

August 13, 2026

Blogger Gaitho Charged for Alleged False Tweet Against Police in Kware Killings’ Case.

July 18, 2024
Rigathi Gachagua Seeks Compensation, Nullification of Impeachment in Court Battle

Gachagua moves to Court of Appeal seeking to Overturn His Impeachment

August 17, 2026
High Court Dismisses Petition to Declare National Prayer Breakfast Unconstitutional, Orders Full Disclosure of Funding

Former AG James Karugu’s Sons Seek Reduction of Sh700,000 Bail in Share Fraud Case

August 12, 2026
Senate Moves to Court of Appeal to Overturn Sh50 Million Award to Gachagua

Senate Moves to Court of Appeal to Overturn Sh50 Million Award to Gachagua

August 14, 2026
Mary Wambui Fails to Stop Equity Bank Administration of Glee Hotel

Mary Wambui Fails to Stop Equity Bank Administration of Glee Hotel

August 14, 2026
Aquamist Wins Appeal After Court Finds Former Employee Failed to Prove Resignation Letter Was Forged

EABL Given 14 Days to Deposit Sh10 Million in Willis Raburu’s Steizon Dispute

August 13, 2026
Court Helicopter

Court and legal stories from around the country

Follow us on social media:

Recent News

  • High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance
  • High Court Defers Judgment on Petition Seeking to Halt Sale of Safaricom Shares
  • Gachagua moves to Court of Appeal seeking to Overturn His Impeachment

Category

  • Africa
  • County
  • Court Update
  • Explainer
  • International
  • Interviews
  • News
  • Photo-Story
  • World News

Recent News

High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance

High Court Summons WPA Director Over Zizou Disappearance

August 17, 2026
“Safaricom ‘Stole’ My M-Teen Idea”: Court Slams Safaricom With Sh1.4 Billion Copyright Judgment

High Court Defers Judgment on Petition Seeking to Halt Sale of Safaricom Shares

August 17, 2026

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Court Update
  • County
  • Explainer
  • Photo-Story
  • Interviews
  • International
  • Africa

© 2026 Court Helicopter. All rights reserved.

betcio   betcio   betcio   onwin   onwin   betgaranti   betgaranti   betgaranti   spinco   betebet   betebet   betebet   onwin   betebet   betebet   betgaranti   betganrati   betgaranti   spinco   betgaranti   betgaranti   betgaranti   betgaranti   betgaranti   betebet   betebet   onwin   betebet   betebet   betebet   casibom   onwin   betpipo   marsbahis   grandpashabet   casibom